Tarantool is an open-source in-memory DBMS combined with a Lua application server. In some benchmarks it has proven to be faster than any of the better-known NoSQL products, and Mail.Ru is committed to making Tarantool the best-known as well as the best. The product is in production use within many small and large companies, as well as within Mail.Ru itself.
The features include sharding, replication, write-ahead logging, a variety of journal log options, load balancing, Lua stored procedures, connectors for C, Perl, PHP and Python, modules for interaction with MySQL or PostgreSQL.
There’s a team of developers employed by Mail.Ru which creates and distributes Tarantool in the open source community.
Our team develops a fully open source project: writes code that automates the testing, assembles packages, and prepares documentation. Now we are developing a complete cloud solution which automatically replaces defective parts and distributes the database load to multiple machines.
It would also be nice if:
About the job
This is a full-time position at Mail.Ru’s Moscow headquarters, a large modern building near the “Airport” subway station. Duties include:
Once a developer becomes thoroughly familiar with Tarantool, opportunities may exist for architectural work, consulting, and international travel.
We’re looking for talented Account Executives who will be responsible for prospecting and closing new business deals within an assigned territory.
Tarantool is a fast NoSQL in-memory database and an application server. It is open-source and free of use under the BSD license. Tarantool is applicable for a vast variety of use cases like online transaction processing, online analytics, anti-fraud systems, advertisement, classifieds, online bidding systems, online front-ends, the Internet of Things.
The way we’re making money is 24x7 professional support, consulting and customer solutions on top of Tarantool. In case of the IoT, our solutions may include software and hardware components.
Tarantool is backed by Mail.Ru Group, one of the leading Internet businesses in the world. You can read more about the company here.
If you have:
- strong software engineering skills
- good understanding of TCP/IP networking and Linux
- ability to make a benchmark of databases from ground up (from setting systems up, through writing all the code, to publishing an article and speaking on a conference)
- fluency in English (ability to speak with people, understand them, speak at conferences, speak with customers f2f, write and publish articles)
- some usage experience with Tarantool (either in production or in testing environment) and clearly understand why it is better than the others
And if you’re up to:
- be an evangelist for Tarantool
- be writing technical articles about Tarantool
- make frequent business trips all over the world (at this point we’re talking primarily about the USA)
- be applying for and speaking on technical conferences
- be evangelizing the product at conference expo zones, talking with people, helping them understand how they can benefit with Tarantool
- be making various benchmarks of Tarantool with respect to other databases
- be attracting people’s attention to Tarantool by creating & publishing materials on Facebook and other media
- be making all possible and impossible efforts to get Tarantool more visible by the technical community
then we welcome you on board right now!
Probably, you want to know about us:
- we’re Mail.Ru Group, the 6th biggest Internet business globally
- more specifically, we’re a team of Tarantool which is the database management system that we’re developing
- this database is a corner stone of Mail.Ru Group as it is used in many of our services like email, cloud, games, advertising and many more
- the main thing about Tarantool is that it is, firstly, one of those rare databases that have an application server on board, and secondly, faster, much faster, than any other open sourced database system (we have plenty of benchmarks on that and you’ll be getting us much more)
- Tarantool is widely used outside of Mail.Ru Group, e.g. by Badoo, Avito, Qiwi, VimpelCom (Beeline) and many others
- our current mission on Tarantool is to make it the most popular database system in the world
Now, what we offer:
- work in Moscow in a highly technological 27-story skyscraper near Airport metro station
- free coffee, tea, cookies, fresh juice, gym, health insurance, underground parking garage and many more perks
- more than competitive salary
- business trips to the USA
Tarantool is an open-source DBMS and application server developed at Mail.Ru Group. The project is built and maintained (testing, documentation, benchmarks, builds) by the Tarantool team alone. Sometimes we contribute to other related open-source projects (LuaJIT, libev). Tarantool developers give talks at top IT conferences (both in Russia and abroad), regularly publish specialized articles, hold workshops and even author a technology podcast (devopsdeflope.ru).
Apart from our involvement in the open-source community, we’ve started selling Tarantool-based solutions to other companies. We’re looking for a skilled developer who’ll work on key objectives in this field.
Will be a plus:
What we offer:
We’ll be happy to review your application and, given mutual interest, make you a very tempting offer.
We at Mail.Ru Group are developing a database management system called Tarantool. It’s one of the world’s fastest in-memory databases used both internally at Mail.Ru Group and externally at companies like Beeline, QIWI, Avito and Badoo.
We assist Tarantool’s external partners in finding and certifying developers. A certified developer can work for one of our partners either full time or on a piecework basis.
The certificate is issued following a successful in-person interview, based on an undisclosed scoring system.
The procedure is completely free. The certificate is valid for one year from the issuance date. Being a certified Tarantool developer gives you a chance to get hired by one of our partners, either by directly contacting them or through our assistance. Some of our partners are currently willing to employ such specialists. After receiving the certificate, you may ask us to negotiate, on your behalf, your desired salary or hourly rate with a prospective employer. We’ll recommend that our partner pay you a specified amount. This process is totally free and transparent.
Will be a plus:
What we offer: